An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.

Friday, September 5, 2014

This is the project.

It was within a week of my back injury that I contacted a builder that a neighbor used for a garage project. I made up my mind that life really was too short. If I was going to do that one big project at my house, it was going to be now.....while I was still able to walk up the damn stairs to look at it.

If you live in southeast Wisconsin, you know that this summer was wet. Rain, rain, rain, rain. I wondered when my workers were going to show up! During those months, I sort of forgot about it and lived in a world of denial. Denial that my house wouldn't be messed up with stuff. Then I got the phone call saying that the next three days sans rain would be the three days they needed to rip off my roof and start.

OMG. My first thought was that maybe I shouldn't go through with it. That only lasted a few minutes.

Let's get on with it.

So this is going to be a record of the whole thing. Start to finish.

Looking up to the landing. Having to empty out two attic spaces and a linen closet and find places for all that stuff wasn't easy. Lots was donated to Goodwill. Some is in the basement and some is now on the first floor making all areas a disaster.

That mattress was a real treat. I was originally going to cut it up and slowly throw it into my garbage bin for pick up by the village. But it was in really good shape so I took it to the Salvation Army. I don't think it was a good thing to wrestle with it while still recovering from my back injury. But it's gone and that's all that matters.

The extra bedroom upstairs is now full.

All the stuff that was upstairs was moved and the landing and hall is empty.


The outside.

No comments: