An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday

This is the brains of the operation on Sunday mornings. Newspaper on one side, laptop in the middle, coffee over to the right and news shows on the TV in front of me. Sometimes, the radio is on in another room. I stumbled upon something excellent this morning which set the pace for the rest of my day.

I don't promote blogs other than to have them listed on my own and that's only because it makes it easy for me to check out my favorites. There can be a lot of madness and bad choices out there when people try to become "farmers" in a hurry. With that said, on occasion, I do find things that are interesting and I feel obliged to pass them on. Here is a short video that was on another blog.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-KHUITId8
(Ruth Stouts garden)

It made me think about myself and finding myself here in this house about 7 years ago. I looked out on that huge back yard and knew that this house would be the start of a new life for me. I really didn't have years and years of growing things behind me. But I had reached a high degree in my pursuit of puttering and I had always enjoyed growing things no matter how small the gardens in my life were. So here was a grand opportunity and I took it. Much like the character in this video. What I enjoyed was her spunk. If you watch it to the end, you will hear excellent advice that her mother gave her and which is something I sometimes forget to follow myself although I have given it a good try.


Getting back to my Sunday, my intention is to go through the seed packets and develop a plan for the garden this summer. I'm going to try only planting the number of tomatoes that I will need which will lessen the guilt that I get when I can't find room to plant 150 seedlings! Now that I know seeds will survive year to year, it's going to be my experiment this year.

No comments: