An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Saturday, November 19, 2011

Some days you're just lucky

Even though I do not need another set of vintage dishes, when they practically fall into your shopping cart at half-price, a girl has to do the right thing and make the purchase. Six dollars for a "set" of Homer Laughlin Eggshell Nautilus dishes stamped "37" on the back. 1937 was a good year for dishware. They are so delicate that you can see the shadow of your hand through them if you hold them up to a light. I have another set of the same type of dishes in a cream color with a pastel half-inch stripe around the edge. I was with my son, Jack, when I bought those. It was one of those enthusiastic moments....just had to buy those. We couldn't let them sit on the shelf in some awful second hand store. Those dishes are so delicate that I would be afraid to place anything on them. Yet, they are to be used. Perhaps a garden party down the road. In less than 20 years, they will be 100 years old!

I wish I didn't like dishes so much.

No comments: