An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Thursday, October 6, 2011

reflections

Haven't had time to add much over the last few days. It seemed like a good day to catch up.

Even though I knew it was inevitable, Steve Job's death is devastating to anyone who has experienced the smooth, quiet efficiency and design of an Apple computer. As someone who has had almost every generation of Mac in my home, it is especially sad. Too young. Younger than me.


The inside of a purple pepper...if you've ever wondered about that.


I planted these gladiolas a few weeks ago. Very, very late. Two of them produced these lovely flowers. Finally, I know what to put in that vase!


And this is my stress reliever. I have rediscovered my bike. Every summer, I rediscover it so it's nothing new. By this time of the year, I'm addicted to riding. I have to go. I have to throw off my work clothes and quickly put on some comfortable biking clothes and off I go. This year, a new section of a county bike trail opened up and it's a mere 500 feet from my house! This has only fueled the addiction. Today I celebrated a stolen summer day in October by heading up the 15 miles that I call my daily workout. As soon as I get on my bike, I feel free.


Yup, my bike. It's about 30 years old. We might be old but we can still go the distance.


And this is the garden these days. Almost everything has been pulled out except for kale, some beans that I'm letting dry, carrots, leeks, peppers, eggplants, marigolds and some spent daisies. It's always a relief to get to this point...cleaning up after a season of producing food is a good feeling. Almost time to make notes and plans for next season. Not ready to head into winter.



No comments: