An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Sunday, July 24, 2011

Beans

I picked beans over the last couple of days and ended up with way too many to eat right now. The answer is freezing. After cleaning them and cutting them, you boil them.


The next step is to stop the cooking. I only have 4 trays of ice cubes and it's so hot out today that I'm saving them for myself later. Instead, I tried this....and it works just fine. You have to submerge the beans in cold water.

When you have a kitchen with a lot of issues, you learn early on that there is going to be lots of inventing and problem solving going on.


To keep the beans and ice pack submerged, you can get your favorite pretty plate and that should work just fine.
.
The result is three large bags of beans ready to use in the middle of winter! The first of many 3-bag contributions I would think.

There is so much going on in the garden now. Oh my. I have a cucumber almost ready to pick, tons of tomatoes, carrots, beets, kale, lettuce, and pepper and eggplant blossoms. I was a little concerned that maybe I had gay squash this year because it looked like I had only male blossoms. But this morning I saw the beginnings of assorted squash. I draw the line at polinating.

No comments: