An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Saturday, March 12, 2011

First, I got up....


...and then I started to assess how my celebratory weekend was going to take shape.

So what's to celebrate? Last week, my tax guy reminded me that I will not be paying any college tuition in 2011--after nine years of maneuvering one modest pot of "gold" to cover three kids, it's almost unbelievable to me. On the way home from work yesterday, I bought several ridiculous magazines, a nice bottle of wine, a jar of herring and some excellent bread to mark the event.

I have felt for a long time that this life of mine was on the cusp of SOMETHING. You know, that place where you can look over your shoulder and see what has been and then face forward and almost touch where you are going. I'm no philosopher but if there is one thing that I believe in, it's the power of leading life with open hands so you can catch what comes your way. When I think of what tidbits have fallen into my hands that allowed me to find happiness in my life, it's worth a laugh or two. So here I am, photographing a ceramic lapin in the remnant of winter snow that is now hard and crisp. This written record has definitely become more rambling than planting but I'm not sure that I would be at this point if I hadn't decided to record my food growin' experiment.

What's good about being 58 and perched at a cusp in your life? Everything.

No comments: