An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Saturday, October 2, 2010

Time to assess the season.

Yup, it's time to note what worked, what didn't work and what I want to try again next year. Those are the last tomatoes, some squashes (others are still outside), a bowl of garlic that I grew this year and some marigold flowers that are drying out for next year. All the receipts have to be sorted out and notes made on my attempt to make some money. This year was just the second year. What I learned was my produce is just as good as the stuff you find in farmers markets. In fact, some of my squashes are bigger! I seem to be gifted at starting plants indoors. So I'll be trying to sell some seedlings next year--cheap! I could easily undercut the price of my produce and sell some next year (if the weather cooperates). I found the right recipe to get good results two years in a row starting seeds indoors. A successful tomato crop still escapes me. I am going to limit the number of tomatoes I start indoors and add some other items. Although, the eggplants I started early were a hit this year. In December, I'll be getting replacement windows for nearly all of my old windows so I'll have lots of hot house options. It sounds good but what am I going to do with those old windows and how am I going to use them? Something else to obsess about all winter.

No comments: