An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Saturday, June 19, 2010

It's the weekend -- am I too old for this big garden?

Here is the hub of the morning....planning my day. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a grip on what might be early blight. Yes, that's correct....the "B" word...B-L-I-G-H-T. I have my gardening books out there, my newspaper and I'm hoping to find some answers to preventing the blight from taking hold. I know that once I get started outside, it will be all-consuming.


Oh, and while all of this planning and coffee drinking was going on, the finches were busy putting the finishing touches on their nest. How DO they do this?



The plan was to first weed the entire garden using one of those tools with the tines (a hand cultivator? How did I know this?). The soil was still a bit moist but not wet. Next, I did some major trimming of the lower leaves of the tomato plants. By the time I was done, I was dripping in the yellow stuff that you get when you rub up against a tomato plant. My back was aching, I was dripping in sweat and covered in yellow tomato stuff. I decided not to go anywhere where I could be seen.


Beans.

The eggplants are FINALLY taking off.

The tomatoes after their trimming and squash in front.

No comments: