An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Sunday, January 6, 2013

A job well done




This is what I am looking at now. It is a beautiful thing.



Here is my team in our dress clothes.


This is what I have been looking at for about 18 months. 



Time to look inside and see how big the hole really is. I must be very careful so as to not let any mice fall into the room. I'm sure they were off to the side of the attic talking amongst themselves..."What the heck are they doing?"



It's all coming back to me. It had something to do with a leak and wanting to know how much of the existing drywall was wet. The important part is that I made the hole myself! 
Lesson one: Don't make really big holes in your ceiling.



 We discussed several options and discarded the idea of using a piece of plywood resting on the existing ceiling and attaching the new drywall to that board because I forgot about studs and uneven existing drywall.
Lesson two: Remember there are studs in your ceiling. If there weren't, your second floor would be sitting in front of you!!



We started using a hand drywall saw to cut a regular shape in the ceiling.
Soon, the invention of electric tools was too much of temptation....even if the tool chosen was not exactly perfect for the job.



We used up all the blades but made it to the end of the project.
Lesson three: Always buy lots of blades.




More electric tools.
Lesson four: Remember where you keep the parts of your wet / dry vac.


Somehow, one of the team members managed to take a nap through the sawing, vacuuming and constant chatter. The Packer game was on.


Hijinks.
Lesson five: Laughing is good for you when you don't really know what you're doing.




The old ceiling. ???????
Lesson six: ??????


Look how lovely that opening is now.


When did I buy that file? I pulled out tools that I was unaware that I had.
Lesson seven: Buy tools even if you don't know when you'll use them.


More sanding. Wrap the sandpaper around a plunger handle. Earlier, the question was raised: Why was there a plunger handle in the bag that held some pretty big power tools? It came in handy several times.


Lesson eight: Always keep a plunger handle in your tool bag.




 Pulling out the old, rusted nails.
Lesson nine: Have your tetanus shots up-to-date.



Getting close.



Lesson ten: Always work with your brother.



Done! 
Some "fine tuning" is left but this is a huge project done. Bring on more drywall projects!







No comments: