An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Friday, June 10, 2011

A cupcake.


It's been two weeks since I had a little chat with my doctor. I guess I haven't been taking care of myself and my glucose was elevated in my yearly lab results. Oh Oh. How did this happen? What have I let my life become? A big bowl of mashed potatoes?

Somehow, I wrangled a "do over" with that blood test. Part of this arrangement was that I had to go on a low carbohydrate diet for two weeks. For heaven's sakes. I think I just vacationed in hell for two weeks. I managed, and did an impressive job of sticking to 40 - 70 carbs a day. No alcohol. No fun.

When I walked into the department this morning, after fasting for what seemed like a thousand hours, I saw a mirage! Yes! It was eighty (80!!!) cupcakes!!! I was ecstatic. I thought that my co-workers had thrown me a carbo bash! Unfortunately (for me), the cupcakes were for our patients in the department. Could there be a more cruel joke? I think not.

As I left work today, I managed to snag a cupcake. It was like catnip to a vacationing cat.

No comments: