An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Monday, May 3, 2010

Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do.

My gardening shoes. Hey, I like to look down and be amused amidst the mud.


Forgive me, but I just HAD to till! Last fall I raked about four inches of leaves onto all of the gardens and then put manure on top of that this spring. There was no way the seeds were going to like that. I had to sacrifice the well-being of my worm friends for some soil that I could plant a seed into. After being shamed by my gardening compatriot, Amy, who has already planted some of her favorites, I decided to dive in tonight after work. I tilled everything except for the new garden (under the black plastic). I planted two types of lettuce, two types of beets and bok choy. What the heck is that stuff anyway? Hopefully, this summer I will know! The smell of the soil, manure, leaves....it's intoxicating. By the way, I don't wear gloves.


And this is my best friend and gardening buddy, the tiller. I'm surprised I can type from all the vibrating that goes along with using it. I think my heart is still jumping around. Hello, hello? I can't hear a thing! It belongs to my very good friend, Bob. I'm storing it for him. He knows I'm using it. I owe him.

No comments: