An urban micro farm experiment. Adventures in trying to live a simple life.


Friday, April 30, 2010

Le Jardin des Tuileries.


I don't know if I can really tell too much about the origins of these two chestnut trees. Let the title of this post be a hint. It is enough to say that Wisconsin winters are more challenging then those of ------. These two trees were raised here.....they start out planted in fall with a large brick on them to prevent squirrels from digging them up during their first winter. Then, in early spring, the brick is lifted and voila!



The technique of raising chestnut trees from the nut is something that I've perfected after trying it unsuccessfully many years ago. At that time, my children were young. We buried chestnuts in the fall only to find they became the favorite snacks of squirrels. Hence, the brick technique. The two large trees that are in these bottom photos were planted by my children about 15 years ago. It was on the last trip to my old house to dig out every living thing that grew there so I could replant it at my new house that I slammed on the car brakes, grabbed my shovel and dug out these two trees. I put them on the front seat of my car and backed out of the driveway with two of my most precious possessions sitting next to me. I planted them right outside my back door in a place that I sit to relax all summer long. I love these two trees.

No comments: